Emanuel Medical Center opened in 1952. It is currently licensed for 72 acute care beds and 12 bassinets. In 1970 a 49-bed long-term care facility was opened as the Emanuel County Nursing Home. Twenty-four private rooms were added to the facility in 1972. In 1983 extensive renovations were completed that touched almost every patient care area of the hospital and added a seven-bed intensive care unity. Additionally, a $2.1 million renovation project was completed in 1993, which gave EMC a new exterior as well as a new interior. On January 1, 1996, the name was officially changed to Emanuel Medical Center.
Through the years, completion of three major building projects supports Emanuel Medical Center as a viable health resource in the community. In 2002, plans to undergo another major renovation and building project developed. Groundbreaking for the $14 million expansion was held on November 6, 2003. Funding for the project was generated through hospital reserves and money from bond financing.
Owned by the County and governed by the Emanuel County Hospital Authority, EMC operates a not-for-profit facility and its operations are completely funded by revenues generated through patient services. The Authority is comprised of eight citizens of Emanuel County plus the current Chief of Medical Staff.
Emanuel Medical Center is fully accredited by the Joint Commission. This means that we voluntarily submit to extensive evaluations of our compliance with specific hospital standards on a continuing basis.